- Last Updated: 3:28 PM, May 25, 2012
- Posted: 10:37 PM, May 24, 2012
By this time next week, HBO expects to have locked up an NFL team for its addictive sports-reality series, “Hard Knocks.”
Officials who asked not be identified because of the delicate nature of the search said yesterday that the network plans to wrap up a team by June 1.
The series — which follows one NFL team through summer training camp up to the opening game — has reportedly been turned down by most of the league’s A-list clubs.
The Jets — a past subject — has said no to a second appearance.
The Broncos, Falcons, Texans, 49ers and Redskins have also turned down the show, according to reports.
Deadspin, the popular sports Web site, even speculated this week that the show may not air this year for lack of cooperation.
The problem, insiders say is that Steve Sabol, the legendary filmmaker who runs NFL Films, which produces the series for HBO, is seriously ill with brain cancer.
Sabol had been the driving force behind the 11-year-old series.
“Without him going out to the teams twisting arms,” says the insider, “it’s been hard.
“Nobody would say ‘no’ to Sabol.”
Still, HBO vows it will have a team in place in a week.